The U Visa is a temporary visa that allows victims of certain qualifying crimes to live and work in the United States
In the year 2000, Congress approved the Law on Victims of Human Trafficking and Protection against Violence (VTVPA) to strengthen the capacity of judicial authorities to investigate and prosecute certain crimes while offering greater protection to its victims, for which it created U Visa Nonimmigrant Status.
This U Visa was created to strengthen the capacity of the judicial system to investigate and prosecute certain crimes while offering greater protection to undocumented victims.
• Be the victim of a qualifying crime that took place in the United States or that violated United States laws,
•Have suffered physical or mental abuse,
• Have information related to criminal activity for the investigating authorities,
• Have collaborated, be collaborating, or have the possibility of collaborating in the investigation or prosecution of a crime,
• Be admissible in the United States or submit a request for exemption using Form I-192,
• In the case of minors under 16 years of age or a situation of disability, another person can present the information on their behalf,
The qualified crimes for a U visa are the following:
T Visa nonimmigrant status is a temporary immigration benefit that allows some victims of a severe form of human trafficking to remain in the United States for up to 4 years if they have assisted law enforcement agencies in an investigation or prosecution of acts of human trafficking. T visas offer protection to victims and strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute acts of human trafficking.
T nonimmigrant status is also available to some eligible family members of victims of human trafficking.
T Visa recipients are eligible for employment authorization and certain federal and state benefits and services.
Trafficking, also called human trafficking, is a modern form of slavery in which traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to compel people to provide jobs or services, including commercial sex.
A T Visa is a form of immigration relief available to an applicant who can show that he or she:
To apply for a T Visa you must submit: